Elder McNamara had a very eventful October, so I will do my
best to summarize it and include excerpts from his letters when I can. He started the month off this this email
home:
October 1, 2012
Hello from the 10 Month Mark!! OH YEAH!!
Man 10 months already.......... jumpin’ jellybeans!!
Well things have begun to pick up here in my neck of the
woods. We have received a little bit more rain this past week (and by a little
bit I mean about 6 inches in one day). We had a fantastic Youth Fireside
last night in which we helped get the youth stoked about doing missionary work
and helping them see how much fun it can be. We role-played with them and
shared some videos and experiences and heard some of their experiences with
doing missionary work. It was awesome. A nice break from the norm of knocking
doors!! Well
transfers are next week, I will know next Monday whether I stay or go. I can't
believe that I have been serving in Austin for 4 1/2 months now!! Time
flies quickly when you’re knocking doors!!! Got to watch 2 Primary programs
yesterday! I love the primary programs; they are always so freaking funny. I am
also stoked for General Conference this weekend. Can't wait to listen to Elder
Holland just rip into everybody!!! Ha Ha just kidding!!
After this email in my usual list of
questions I included a couple of questions that brought some humbling answers.
(Kim)Are you Happy? (Matthew)
Yes I am very happy!! I get to study the Book of Mormon every day and
learn and expound my testimony and then go out and share that with everyone I
meet!
(Kim) Do ya miss
me? LOL (Matthew) Every Day!!! I
have taken a picture of you and Dad and put it on a proselyting box I carry so
that you guys are going to every door with me!!!
It was so great to hear his enthusiasm
and love of the work. Even more humbling
however was the answer to his second question.
As leaders, families and especially parents of these amazing young
missionaries, we should remember that all the years of teaching, fun, examples,
experiences and life lessons go with our sons & daughters with every knock
of a door. Whether there is a picture of
us with them or not, all we have taught them goes with these young men and
women, strengthens them and encourages them to testify of what they know to be
true and to keep going. We play an
important lifelong role in preparing, encouraging and supporting these
missionaries!!
October 8th, 2012
Hello from the great city of Austin
TX!!!!!!!!
First things first. I AM GETTING TRANSFERRED!! I will also be Senior Companion!! AAAHHH!!!!!
General Conference was Amazing!! I
loved Elder Holland’s talk as well as Elder Cook and Elder Neilson's. Elder
Neilson’s especially though. "If you have problems 'Ask the missionaries,
they can help you!!" I think the biggest shock of the whole
conference though was the news about missionary ages. 18 yr old Elders and 19
year old Sisters. Wholly Cow!!!
October 15, 2012
Hello from Round Rock Texas!!!!! Transfers were this past week as you know and
I got transferred!!
I am serving in Round Rock. 20
Min East of my last area! Things are
going great. The weather is starting to cool down so it is making being outside
a little more comfortable and bearable!! My new companion is Elder Ashby!! He
is from Taylorsville UT. He has been out
in the field for 3 months and is real enthusiastic about getting to work and
being the best that he can be!! It is awesome!!
I am serving in the Brushy Creek
Ward!! My first Sunday was Stake
Conference and it was awesome!! My favorite talk was from President Brown
who is the First Counselor in the Stake Presidency. He compared the movie
"The Lion King" to our life on earth. He talked about how Simba
was born and how for a little while he grew up learning from
his Father who he was and what he could become. After a while Scar
wanted to take over the kingdom and so he had Mufasa killed and ruled
the kingdom for a while, in which he also told Simba to run away and
never return. He then talked about how we in life have been separated
from our Heavenly Father and that Satan is trying to tell us to run
away from Him and never return. He then talked about Rafiki the
Baboon. He told about how he had received a "revelation" that
Simba was still alive and so he went looking for him. He compared this to Jesus
Christ. Christ came looking for those that have run away like Simba did
and to help those that have not yet run away to
not to. While Rafiki was talking to Simba he told him that he could take
him to his Father and took him to the pond in which he showed Simba his
own reflection. He said that his Father lived in him and that he can be
all that his Father is!! Simba then goes to the open field
where he sees in the cloud His Father and talks with him. One of the
things that Mufasa tells Simba is "You are More than you have
become." I liked this part a lot!! President Brown talked a little about
this, saying that every once in a while Heavenly Father has to tell us
"You are More than you have become." I like to think that we
all have the potential to become like our Father in Heaven and that he has
provided us with a perfect example and that if we follow Jesus Christ who is
that perfect example then we will be able to be all that we can be and our
Father in Heaven will be able to say to us when we return to him "You have
become all that you could! Well done!"
October 29th,
2012
Well hello from the cold Elder.
Temperatures have dropped down to
the 40's in the evening and mornings and only get to about 65 during the day.
It is a lot better than the 109 degrees but I wish it would stay around 75
without humidity or wind! I know that will never happen but it would be nice. Well
this past week has been eventful. Starting with Monday while playing
scatterball (dodge ball) with the zone I took a fall and hurt my knee. I
haven't been able to do a lot of walking on it but I do get out and walk a
little. I get to go to the doctor today and find out what is wrong but it
shouldn't be too bad.
**The
Mission President’s wife informed us the night before this email of his
injury. Apparently he twisted his knee
as he fell, then landed on it, and then another missionary landed on top of
it. Originally they thought Matthew had
a torn meniscus, and would require surgery.
After a flood of prayers and lots of pacing on the part of Mom, Matthew met with an orthopedic on Monday and
he believes he has a torn PCL. They
think he can recover with just some physical therapy, but will be performing an
MRI to verify this diagnosis. We are so
thankful for answered prayers & the watchful care of our Father in Heaven. We are continuing to pray it will be a simple
recovery with no surgery required!! He
is anxious to get back to work!
November 30, 2012 Matthew will
celebrate his 1 year mark!! So hard to
believe a whole year has gone by! Just
amazing!
Hope ya'll have a fantastic week!!
Love Elder McNamara!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment